Monday, November 11, 2013

Success

Well, since our last entry (Mayonnaise), we've had some real reasons to praise God.  First off, a friend invited me over last week and taught me how to make pickles.  Selah and Susan and I made about twelve jars of pickles one morning.  It was a good experience since we can't usually get dill pickles here.  This is Susan and Selah holding the 'after' product. 

Second, I've not seen any of those pesky little bugs in our hair since last week.  That may mean that they're gone, or it may mean that I've got a lot fewer of them to battle.  Regardless, a sweet friend in Minnesota (Sheri, you rock, my dear) sent a package including a Robicomb which zaps those little bugs as you comb through your hair. Allows me to have my vengeance.....

Not only did I get my package from Sheri, I also got one from my pal Heather in Katy (equally rockin' gal) who sent, among other things that I love and really need, my garlic press from home.  Now you might be saying to yourself, "A garlic press?!"  Yes, it's a wonderful tool from my kitchen in Katy which I used frequently to keep my fingers from smelling like that most wonderful (aka stinky) seasoning.  When I unwrapped it out of the tissue paper she sent it in, it was so like Christmas. 

And speaking of which, I got to go to Latacunga yesterday and shop at the mall there.  When I looked up, it was like I was in the States.  I saw hanging from the rafters little hot air balloons decorated with Christmas presents and mini Santa Clauses.  Since they have no "American Thanksgiving" here to fend off the Christmas decorations, they drag them out of storage once the month of November hits the calendar.  Sometimes earlier even.  As a matter of fact, when I was shopping in MegaMaxi a few weeks ago, I saw an Ecuadorian replica of the manger scene.  Mary looked like a native Ecuadorian 'Maria' fully dressed in something like a bright colored poncho, while Joseph resembled a "Jose" dressed in similar fare.  I should have bought it since the next time I get to go to that store may be months from now and the Christmas things will be put away (at least in theory).

Though this mall didn't have the Target-like MegaMaxi, it did have a SuperMaxi which still contained way more groceries than I can typically find anywhere near Shell.  I only had $78 so I couldn't pick up everything I wanted--one of the drawbacks of a cash-only society--but I did find several things that I previously had not encountered in other places.  I discovered a shaker of onion powder, a jar of organic tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, dried parsley, couscous, Special K cereal, and a few other terrific things.  Sadly, they didn't sell feta cheese, spicy bar-b-q sauce, or pitted black olives, but maybe I'll find them someplace else in the coming months.  Regardless, it was a wonderful outing and ended way way way too soon.  (I caught myself getting downright giddy walking up and down the aisles humming to the American 80s music that was being piped in over the speaker system while I was locating a plethora of favorite foods.)  Below is a picture of what $73.60 paid for. 
Crazy, isn't it?

The reason I was able to go to Latacunga in the first place was because a couple of friends and I went to a ladies' retreat over the weekend.  It was four hours away in a very small town called Papallacta (pa-pa-yak-tah) where we stayed in a large guest house that sleeps 28--we only had 13 so it was very pleasant.  Over the weekend I took my scrapbooking materials and was able to complete 54 pages in our family album.  I stayed up late and got up early and made myself work almost continuously.  We did take a short break on Saturday so we could go to the hot springs and warm up our toes.  It was wonderful--I even got a sunburn on my shoulders because we were on the equator and as high up as 10,200 feet in the mountains.  The sun in very intense there.  This is a picture of the hot springs--it actually looks like a resort!

This is Papallacta.

This is our small road trip group.  Russ drove us there, Kyleen is his wife, Ruth is another of our friends, and then there's me looking a bit red after the stint in the sun.  We're all smiles because we so enjoyed the time away.


Finally, today began my week of substituting in Sethy's 3rd/4th grade classroom.  His teacher is currently in the States for a wedding and I am joyfully serving in her place.  I went in this morning just a little uncertain of how things would go--it's been a while since I taught all day long to a classroom of students--I'm more used to teaching my own kids at home all day.  Well, it was glorious.  The kids were so well behaved, curious, helpful, respectful, and downright easy.  I loved it so much that when I got home and Doug asked me if I was worn out from the long day, I told him that that couldn't be further from the truth.  I was pumped.  I couldn't wait to go back tomorrow. 

So, though we still have termite wings all throughout the house, and our toilet seat keeps coming off, and we got soaked in the rain coming home for lunch, and I couldn't find sour cream in Shell so that I can make Ranch dressing from the packets my friends sent, I'm praising God for the good that has happened as of late.  May I have a good attitude regardless of the circumstances. 

thanks for reading, blessings, kim

1 comment:

  1. Christmas lights and decoration is up already at the mall and at most stores. SO much for Thanksgiving....

    ReplyDelete