Monday, January 6, 2014

New Beginnings

Tomorrow we head back to school and I think that everyone is mentally and physically ready.  We've slept in, played cards, gone bike riding, organized our little house, played games, had friends over, bought groceries, called family to get caught up (spent nearly two and a half hours alone with Mom and Dad on the phone), and have prepped lessons for this week.  We've therefore attended to things that were important and to things that were frivolous. 

Yet, I'm coming to discover that some of the things that we deem frivolous actually are more important in the big scheme of things.  Like playing cards with Darius.  While we were at the beach, we played a lot of cards--mind you, I no longer am a formidable foe for him so it's a bit of a sacrifice to play knowing that I'm going to get my tail kicked. And while there he jumped the waves, dug holes, ate tons, chased crabs, and rescued turtles, yet this simple little thing him happy like no other activity.  It was so interesting because during our time there he even seemed different:  content, joyful, not stuck in a book all the time.  I guess I discovered that spending one-on-one time with just Darius is what he craves more than anything else.

When I think about it, I realize that all Jacobey wants is to bike s ride with his dad or cook with his mom (we're about to bake some cookies together) and he doesn't want any of his siblings nosing in.  Seth wants to play cards, look at Lego, take a walk, or go get fresh bread at the bakery with us in tow.  He'll tolerate someone else coming but his heart really is most pleased when it's just he and I or he and Doug.  And Selah wants to wash dishes or fold clothes together (praise God for girls) or have either one of us follow her around the compound on our bike.  They each want to know that they matter to us and that they are a priority in our lives.

 Well, if you think about it, isn't that what we all crave from the one we love?  We all want the undivided attention of the person we're seeking to enjoy.  When we're with our mom or spouse or friend or child or employer or whomever, we simply want to know that they're interested in us and what we're about.  The tough thing is that tasks often get in the way and so do others who are competing for our attention.  We have limited time and energy and a limit to how thin we can spread ourselves among those we love. 

Here's a thought.  When Doug and I first met and began dating, Doug said that he wanted us to choose some hobbies or interests that we could share as our relationship developed.  Being the money-minded person that he is, he chose for us to join an investment club.  Sounds riveting huh?  Well, because I was interested in Doug, I became interested in investing. It's not what I would have chosen but it enabled us to develop a common vocabulary, goal, outlook, etc.  It drew me to him and him to me.  Same notion here.  In bonding with my child(ren) or others, I need a common vocabulary, goal, outlook, etc.  I need to set aside that time weekly--if not daily--to do something that makes that happen.  Maybe it'll be in the form of teaching them how to cook, how to garden, how to paint, or in reading together, playing games together or running each morning together.

Simply put, my new beginning this year is to make sure my five family members know that I'm crazy about each of them, individually and as a group.  God gave them to me and expects me to treasure them each.  May you find the desire and way to do the same with yours. 

Thanks for reading,
Blessings,
kim

2 comments:

  1. finding the time to spend with each one alone is sometimes the challenge! one child gets one night, another one gets another night. it is never enough according to them. then another night, we locked our bedroom door so we can get some alone time. thanking God that we have these nights together...

    ReplyDelete