Friday, February 7, 2014

Teaching Teachers about Teaching

School's out for all Ecuadorian students (however, because our boys go to a missionary school, Doug and the kids still have classes this week).  Since it's a week off for everyone, the teachers at Casa de Fe are having meetings, working in their rooms, and updating their knowledge on certain topics.  I was blessed with the opportunity to meet with them on Monday for about an hour.  You see, I had gone into each of their classrooms previously to observe their teaching.  I watched lessons in music, math, science, history, English, and language arts.  Six of the lessons were completely in Spanish which posed a new level of challenge for me.

So, on Monday I presented a lesson to them trying to include some of the things that I thought they might need in their teaching repertoire.  As I prepared for that lesson, I was very concerned that I'd not be able to express myself well (since the lesson would have to be in Spanish) and that they would not receive it well.  I wanted to talk about rigor, discipline, and many other topics pertinent to teaching.  It would be a challenge to come across well in any language when dealing with these topics. 

Well, Monday came and I felt still unsettled about how I was going to present even though I had the lesson all planned out.  All I could do at that point was pray earnestly to the Lord about His guidance and His ability to speak through me. 

Our session started about 20 minutes late (some teachers were slow in arriving since they still had commitments with the students who needed extra help).  I had them work in pairs to do activities, to work as a group to devise lists, and discuss aloud our thoughts on teaching.  I modeled some teaching behaviors that I thought were key to a successful classroom.  We had an active discussion sprinkled with joking and laughter.  In the end, I was more than satisfied with their attentiveness and participation, and praising God that He'd answered my prayer (and that it was finally over!).

Then, the rest of this week has been scheduled meetings working one-on-one with the teachers talking about the lesson I observed.  Again, I was to speak with each of them in Spanish regarding my observations about how they teach.  Another opportunity for prayer!  I finally finished the last of them yesterday and, whew!  The Lord answered prayer again and gave me the right heart, the right words, and the right connection with each of them.  I've even been blessed by their warm greetings each day and our amiable relationship.  What a neat thing it's been. 

Observation:  when still feeling unsettled about something new and different, always cover with prayer.  He tells us to cast all our cares upon Him because He cares for us.  Why not listen to that wisdom?  Certainly beats getting an ulcer, having high blood pressure, or any other yucky thing that could happen!  Have a great day!  May you pray to Him without ceasing. He's there anyway--you may as well talk to Him.  : )

Blessings, kim

No comments:

Post a Comment