Saturday, May 3, 2014

The door was opened

Back in July when we purchased our airline tickets to come to Ecuador, we decided to go with a round trip option because they were cheaper by far than if we had gotten two one-way fares.  At that time we simply chose the very last return date the airline would permit us--June 19.  So, for our entire time here, we've known that we'd be coming back to the US on that date.  Well, since coming to Ecuador we realized that we don't have to stay here that long after the school year ends on the June 6.  In fact, we'd love to be able to go home earlier since time in the States is precious and being with our loved ones is even more so. 

So, I began to pray that we could move our tickets to an earlier date.  Almost immediately I sensed that the Lord would answer this prayer in the affirmative.  Can't explain it, but I just know that I sensed the date change would eventually happen.  Yet, I got the impression that this would require faithful praying on my part for it to take place. 

Therefore after a few days of praying, on one Saturday morning in February I called the airlines to see what we could do about the date change.  I rang Delta and was told that they would be willing to move our flights to an earlier date for a small nominal fee--$300 for the change and 71 cents for the difference in cost of flights--each!  For six tickets that would amount to roughly $1800.  I promptly asked to speak to a supervisor to plead my case and after having done so, I found no movement on the fee, but they did suggest that I submit a special request in writing.  I spent the next week trying to complete this fairly simple task but daily I found that, for some unknown reason, I could not even get onto the Delta website.

So, the very next Saturday I called the airlines again.  This time I pled my case and added that the recommended suggestion had not been possible.  This ticketing agent was more sympathetic to our cause and offered a reduction of the change fee to only $150/ticket--still $900 for us to make the change.  After a couple of moments of deliberation on the matter, Doug and I agreed that as missionaries we could not pay such a price as this would fall squarely on the on the shoulders of those who had graciously supported us.  Donations should not go toward such a fee.

Well, knowing that I was at least making some headway on this big fee (whittling it down from $1800 to $900 was greatly encouraging), the following Saturday I did the usual--dialed up the airlines and pled my case once again.  Once again to no avail--this time it was suggested that I contact the corporate office to let them know my mission organization details and to submit something even more formal than was originally proposed.  I felt like I'd taken a huge step backwards and was now really discouraged.

The next Saturday I didn't call.  As a matter of fact, I chose not to call several Saturdays in a row.  The task seemed somewhat impossible now.  Should I have taken the $900 charge when it was offered?  Was I sure that the Lord was going to answer this prayer with a 'yes'?  I thought so.......Then I got the sense that I had not been diligent enough in prayer--the Bible sometimes calls this 'fervency'.  I knew that I had prayed here and there but had not really poured my heart into this petition.  So though I took a break from calling the airlines, I decided to focus my attention on the One who would make the miracle (and yes, I began thinking this would take a miracle) happen. 

I finally made the call last Saturday morning, armed with many more prayers and a greater confidence that He would make it happen.  I called up, pled my case, waited for the response and prayed all the while.  Doug sat beside me praying too.  Nope.  They would change our ticket for now a whopping $325.71 each which was getting very close to $2000!  Yikes!  I once again began wrestling with the Lord and asked Him if I had heard right.  I was discouraged and knew that I didn't possess in any way anywhere near the power or influence I needed to make this happen.  All I could do was pray. 

Then on Wednesday night I chatted with my dear friend Debbie who had visited us here in Ecuador and who keeps up with each of our lives as we live out the missionary existence.  I told her how things were going with this flight change and how I was feeling.  At the end of our conversation we prayed together and during that time she asked the Lord to move on our behalf so that we could go home early.  When she spoke her request, something inside me clicked on and I began to once again believe that the answer would be 'yes'.  It was an encouraging moment and I had a renewed belief to press on. 

The next morning I woke up and with a few minutes to myself, I snuck over to the couch and began reading my Bible and praying aloud.  I talked to God about my gratitude for so many, many things and spent some time praying for my family members, myself, and for a large number of friends and extended family.  Then I asked, once again, for favor with the airlines and with the person who would speak to us on the phone.  Immediately the Lord reminded me of the parable that Jesus told in one of the Gospels about the persistent neighbor.  You see, in the story, Jesus tells of a man and his family that have gone to bed for the night.  All of a sudden a neighbor begins pounding on their door to which the man replies with impatience and a lack of concern.  You can imagine:  "It's late.  We're already in bed. I"m in my pajamas. Come back tomorrow.  Or, better yet, go beat on someone else's door."  Yet, because the neighbor was persistent in his knocking, the man eventually got out of bed and opened the door. 

This so encouraged me that when I finished praying I considered calling the airlines right away.  I felt like the Lord was giving me another confirming 'yes'.  However, as often happens in our home, when people began to wake up, plans get made, games get pulled out, tasks get assigned, meals get eaten, and life moves in myriad directions.  Since it was a day off for us (Ecuadorian Labor Day) it really did go into many directions.  Needless to say, I forgot to make the call and I eventually went off to have a cup of tea with my sweet friend Rebekah.

Two plus hours later when I returned, Doug and I began playing table tennis.  He'd just returned from our neighbors house where they were storing the table.  They were so relieved when Doug asked them if we could borrow their ping-pong table since the thing is so old and were thrilled that we'd take it off of their hands.  What a fun way to enjoy the outdoors even if it's raining.  As we played we discussed our day and my tea outing and how our day off had taken shape. 

Finally Jacobey came over to find out what we were having for dinner.  "I think we should celebrate," replied my dear husband.  "What are we celebrating?" I asked.  "Instead of going home in 50 days, we'll be flying out in 40."  WHAT!?  NO WAY!  After I recovered from the fact that I'd just spent 30 minutes with him and he'd not mentioned a thing about the news, I then did a little jig and whooped it up loud enough for Shell to wonder what was up. 

Apparently while I was away, Doug called the airlines.  He had done and said the very same things that I had each of the previous times.  He'd gotten the same response initially of a nearly $2000 charge and he'd prayed while he waited.  The only difference this time is that the eventual answer became a 'yes'.  They said that they would move the flight and all we'd have to pay is the 71 cents/ticket.  WOW!

So, in the end, we see that God DOES answer prayer. Fervency in prayer pays off.  All we have to do is trust and obey--and pray.....

Thanks for reading,
Blessings, kim

3 comments:

  1. Oh, praise the Lord! He is ever faithful. So happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 23 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete