Sunday, October 26, 2014

You know it's your child in class when

This year two of my students in the classroom are my own two kids:  Seth and Selah.  I'm finding myself thinking often, "this would never happen in another teacher's room."  I find humor in them but some are just nutty and I'm hoping to extinguish at least one of these behaviors before long. 

So, you know that it's your child in the classroom when....
10.  you hear, "Mommy" more than you do "Mrs. Thompson".
9.  your mug of hot tea slowly empties before your eyes.
8.  you're being asked what snacks you packed for the day.
7.  you nearly get tackled with a hug at the oddest times of day.
6.  you're begged to see the principal (Daddy) so that an especially good grade can be shown off.
5.  you're asked if another classmate can come over to play while the school day is still going on.
4.  you're told about a bowel movement that took place moments before in the restroom.
3.  you get tears when it's the Monday morning Spelling Pre-Test and the child doesn't know how to spell 'city'.
2.  you're asked to help someone zip up and button their pants after each bathroom break.
But my favorite, or possibly least favorite, is this one:
1.  you look down and your child is chewing his own toenails while you read aloud to the class. 
Oh My!  I didn't know whether to be embarrassed, mad, disgusted, or envious.

Regardless, I'm loving that they're in my class and that they're learning and growing every day.  What a blessing to be a part of their story.

Thanks for reading.
Blessings, kim

2 comments:

  1. Kyle has chewed his toenails before and Mike nearly came unglued when he saw his child with his foot in his mouth :-) love you, friend. Just think, if that's the worst thing they ever do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know you started teaching in the school! And your posts feed me with such great passion to not give up on any challenges that I face everyday.

    ReplyDelete