Saturday, January 17, 2015

Blessings

I'm so sorry that I've not been very faithful in blogging over the past few weeks.  It really is not my intention to let it go for so long.  I do have a ton to say but finding the time and just the right message has been fairly difficult. 

Life here has been a challenge in many ways but we were so blessed this week by three outstanding things.  You see, we have a team of people currently here that have come from the States on a short-term mission trip.  There are ten of them and they've flown here from the east coast--Pennsylvania/Delaware.  Prior to their arrival they received packages from both my mom and Doug's mom.  In these packages were some of the most simple things (pretzels, Planter's Peanuts, new socks, new t-shirts, gum, Texas Pecan coffee, instant creamer, hot chocolate packets, Tabasco, peanut butter, corn starch, nutmeg, oatmeal packets, Jolly Ranchers, and a few other wonderful things).  Well, when they arrived they brought these packages with them and the six of us tore into the gifts and were excited. It really was just like Christmas.  The kids also received some of their favorite card games and VeggieTales videos.  I received a music CD for my classroom and Doug got an audio book.  Two friends, Darleen and Irene also sent some books that are just the kind of reading material that I was looking for.  Since we have no television and spotty internet and rainy weather often, these things have already blessed us richly.

The other thing that we loved was the meals out that the team has treated us to.  We had pizza together one evening and they generously picked up the tab and even took us out for soft serve ice cream thereafter.  What an amazing thing.  On another night they had Chinese food sent to our house!  Then, last night they hosted a big community  event where they served hot dogs and s'mores. 

The topper though is this one:  This team brought with them suitcases full of toys for the missionary kids in our community.  There are about thirty kids so this is no small feat.  They brought board games, skate boards, Nerf guns, electronic helicopters, stuffed animals, and all sorts of other very kid-friendly gifts.  All the missionary kids' names went into a hat and then were drawn out so that the  kids could choose their gift.  All the parents watched as this process played out and we couldn't believe the kindness that was being shown our kids.  Well, when our kids' names were toward the bottom of the line I couldn't help but feel for them as they watched others choose something that I knew that they had wanted.  I was so encouraged though when they chose from what was left with grateful hearts and excitement.  All of our kids were notably excited about this opportunity.

Well, at the end of the process when the last child had chosen her gift, the group leader announced the results of a vote that the kids has apparently conducted earlier in the evening.  The group had asked the kids to choose four from their midst who were the epitome of Christ-likeness, kindness, and generosity toward others.  These four kids were to receive an additional gift.  In anticipation of this announcement I had reminded myself not to get my hopes up and I knew genuine happiness for the winners would be the right response out of not only myself but also out of my family members.  Well, when the second child named was 'Jacobey', I cried out and jumped up and down as if I'd just won the Miss America contest.  I was enormously proud of my son--my son who has been ridiculed greatly by a number of kids and who I have had to walk this long, long road with.  This is the same son that I constantly am having to remind to be of good courage to do the right thing even when others do not.  The son who reported to me that he thought he couldn't make it here another five months.

When Jacobey came to me at the conclusion of the evening just a matter of five minutes later, he and I embraced in a flood of tears. We were both in shock and profoundly impacted by what had just taken place. We felt that his good, but very hard choices, had paid off and that he knew that even though some of the kids may not like him, at least a portion of them appreciated his ways.

Today we're still processing this event.  We're still amazed at how things have turned out and we're still really grateful for this little blessing.
Praise God for sweet gifts of kindness in the most surprising ways.
Thanks for reading,
Blessings, kim

No comments:

Post a Comment