Thursday, June 25, 2015

Home

The past two weeks have been so sweet and so full.  We've been in the rainforest, in the Andes Mountains, in the suburbs at my parents' house, and now in our own home.  We're thrilled to be back in our own bed and among our family and friends.  The impromptu conversations in our yard, at the store, on the phone, in our home, and at others' houses continue to bless us tremendously.  I never grow tired of seeing smiling faces that are happy to see us and eager to give a hug to a weary sojourner.  May our homecoming last a good long while.

Doug and I are attempting to hold onto the life lessons and the inner changes that we've experienced--being in our own home culture certainly makes that harder.  Slower, more contemplative living is not the American way.  Yet, we're trying to still get 8 hours of sleep, talk and pray together each morning, tackle a reasonable amount of things each day before the day's done, connect with those we love, take our time when driving and going about our day's business, and sit with our kids at night just talking and laughing together.  More importantly though, we're giving ourselves tons of grace all day long:  grace to just sit for a minute and have a cup of tea; grace to enjoy the neighbor who just stopped by even when there's much to be done; grace to allow the kids to not be completely comfortable with all the hugs and conversations with people they barely remember; grace to be American without having to jump into everything we as Americans do. 

For example, while shopping today I listened to the music the stores had pumped in and the messages the songs were feeding their listeners.  While driving I noticed the facial expressions and pace at which we were moving.  While interacting with cashiers and other store employees I noticed how people treat one another.  And while engaging in conversations I noticed which topics were of importance and which were not.  Today was a day of re-learning my culture. 

I have discovered that I'm not completely comfortable in my culture any longer.  It makes me feel rushed.  It makes me feel guilty if I don't consume and use up all I can.  It makes me feel unprepared and unplanned and unable if I want to just take my time and stop to smell the roses.  It makes me feel that the things I deem important are irrelevant and unimportant and so-last-year (or century). My culture follows trends, and twitter, and facebook, and icons, and fashion, and so many other things that change and update and refresh.  At this moment, it's too much for me.  I just need time.

So for now, I'm going to simply engage with those who the Lord puts in my path; I'm going to unpack and put away the remaining things that need to find homes in our house; and I'm going to talk to the Lord all day long about what to do next.  As long as I'm tuned into His voice, it'll all turn out just fine. 

Blessings, kim

3 comments:

  1. Hi Thompsons' Sorry to have missed visiting with you guys before you left Ecuador. Sadly as you know a simple visit isn't always so simple. Please continue to post how things are going for you all. I rather enjoy the insight, you got that 'wife, mother, woman' touch :) that seems to go a long way with me. Your honesty and vulnerability has put an honest human touch to this journey for me. Thanks my friend, we hope some day to visit you all in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I love this post. It's honest and very true. I share your discomfort with the rush of our culture, and with the excess and busyness we so easily fall prey to. I also share your desire to live counter-culturally at a more rested and flexible pace. As I write this, I'm reclined in my tiny trailer, with my computer on my lap, my dog at my feet, and a rolling river just 15 feet away. I can hear the birds chirping, see the chipmunks playing, and watch the kayakers paddle by. But life isn't always this rested. Much like a trip to another country, it took a long sabbatical from work to help me find & embrace this slower pace. And what a gift this time has been. Before leaving Austin and moving to Colorado I got to know my neighbors better in 3 months than I had in the preceding 6 years. Why? because I was present and available to them. For mid-day cups of coffees and sunset walks with the dogs. For rides to the dentist, to an MRI, or to get a late night ice cream cone. I was similarly available to my family and friends, which was as much a gift to me as to any one of them. The challenge will be to maintain this rested pace when work begins again. But it's a challenge I will gladly accept, because I'm convinced the reward is great. I'm also convinced that it's how we were made to live--both individually, and in community. It begins with a commitment and a connection to Christ, and it's maintained through prayer, by His sustaining grace. Blessings to you and yours, Kim,as you learn to keep company with Father and His unhurried rhythms of grace. (Matt 11:28-30, MSG) May we all learn together how to follow His lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and welcome "home"! I hope to see you when you come through CO.

    ReplyDelete