Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A regular day

This morning started a little harder than the others.  I know that's to be expected, and nothing is really terribly wrong, but you know how it is when there's a lingering sense of frustration and you don't know what to do.  Last night's sleep challenged both Doug and I who found ourselves both awake from one a.m. till two.  Doug had not slept yet and I probably had dozed a little prior to then.  Doug's got a cough which is slightly similar to the one he had last year at this time (which eventually led to a hernia); and I'm still itchy from my Typhoid immunization taken four weeks ago--the side effect that simply will not go away and has been around for three weeks thus far).  Add to that the lack of internet and phone (local and long distance) at our home, our gas (which provides hot water and therefore allows me to wash the sheets, the dishes, and myself and the rest of the household) ran out today too. We have bugs, still aren't crazy about the milk here, have no car so I have to walk absolutely everywhere, Doug's overwhelmingly busy at work, and the cloud cover is thick today, so much so that we can't see the mountains that we normally gaze at throughout the day.

So.....I've had to decide all day how to handle my reaction to each disappointment.  I catch myself getting fussy and realize that that's not exactly helping things.  In fact, it's making things that much harder.  I've decided to be grateful for the cool weather, the kids' chance to play outside all day long, the visit of the veggie truck to our driveway which delivered strawberries, pineapple, tomatoes, green beans, spinach, peaches, zucchini, avocadoes, garlic, carrots, grapes, and ear of corn, and of all things, mora (black raspberries)!  I got all this for $13 and didn't have to carry it home from the market in town.  I have great help here in the way of new friends, one of which is a pediatrician and can help me through some of my toughest binds, and another asked me if I would join them and their Moms in Touch group each Monday as they pray for the kids at the school.  I discovered that the radio station that I've been listening to in Spanish is actually, get this, located in the house across the street from my home!  How cool is that?! I'm thinking that necessitates a fieldtrip sometime.  And since I began this message, we've gotten internet hooked up in our house (I'm actually typing at our kitchen table!!!), Doug came home at 4:00 instead of after 6:00, and he's now working on getting the gas situation fixed. Never thought I'd be so excited about my opportunity to do laundry.  Praise the Lord!

In essence, life is full of frustrations which are to be expected.   The only thing that is not a given, is my reaction to it all.  I get to choose that, and choose I will.  "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord," or said in today's language "Thompsons have decided to tough it out for Him." 

Thanks for reading this less than interesting entry.  It was therapeutic for me..... ; )
Blessings, kim

2 comments:

  1. Isaiah 41:10
    So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.


    James 1:2-4
    Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (NASB)

    Praying for you all tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you:

    Joshua 1:9
    Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

    Love your attitude - I will remember to "use" it here too.

    We had our Prep Day today. One of the new dad, who's also a leader at the church, started us off with Praise and Worship - it was great. The day went well - crazy with all the new procedures and more people but everyone seems excited. Well, maybe not the High Schoolers who are not looking forward to all the homework (quoting them!) =)

    I always tell my oldest to tough it out. I am not so sure I would do as well. Love reading your stories - seeing how God works in your life is such a great reminder that He does love us and provide for us - in His perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete