Friday, December 20, 2013

The Poor

On Wednesday we took our Bible Club on the road.  We drove to the poorest part of Shell--kind of known as a squatter's village where people have just decided to build very small, basic homes for themselves made of wood and metal.  By building on this unwanted land they in essence make a claim to it for their family.

Doug was selected to help with transporting chairs: 
(You have no idea how often we find ourselves here saying, "That would never happen in the States."  This, obviously, is one of those times.)

When the car I was riding in arrived, there was a HUGE group of kids and mothers assembled ready to listen to a program.  Where in the world did these people come from?  Apparently there are more people living in each house than we expected.  Though this picture kind of conveys a crowd, it certainly doesn't reveal just how many people were there. 
The kids listened to a puppet show, helped to sing Christmas songs (new ones for the Thompsons), heard a story, and learned the meaning of Christmas. 
It was time well spent because I honestly don't know if they ever are treated to anything like it.  At the conclusion of the program, we had bags of candy for each child.  After handing out the 120th one, we resorted to passing out suckers to those who had not received a bag.  These are some of the faces in the crowd.
I had such mixed emotions while snapping pictures.  I of course want to remember this day and want to have pictures tell the story of the visit.  Yet, as I took pictures some of the faces I saw were so devoid of any sort of emotion.  Hopeless is more the sentiment.  Those faces were the ones that I really wanted to capture but out of respect for their dignity, I didn't.  They give the impression of a soul so very in need of help, love, anything.  I tried smiling at those faces as I walked around but they didn't register anything at all.  I can't imagine what their lives are like.   The children and adults alike are dirty, their clothes are worn, their hair is ragged, feet are bare, and they spoke not a word.  When I handed them some information about the life of Christ at the very end of our time there, they received it but didn't respond with anything other than a look. 

I feel that these are the ones I'd love to meet again.  I would like to return to give of my time and/or my resources.  Selah and Seth are growing out of some of their clothes.  If I think about it, there are a number of shirts, pants, shorts that we all brought that we could give away.  The kids seem to wear the same things over and over again anyway. And there are a few pair of shoes that I have not worn since I got here.  I really only wear three of the pairs I brought.

Something to consider....
Maybe by Christmas we could return.
Thanks for reading. 
Blessings, kim 

2 comments:

  1. praying for opportunities and open receiving hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up. We lost the address to your blog 2 months ago and have been very distressed about it. We miss you guys so much and can't wait to make a decent meal for you when you get back. Your stories are so inspiring. I wish I could ship you some food. We know you are doing great work and the kids will gain so much from this. We love and miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete