Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Freedom in Christ

What is Freedom in Christ?  I'll describe it as:

Allowing other Christian believers to live as the Lord calls them to.  It's letting them live out their Christian walk in the way that they believe is best.  It's not getting in their way if they know that the Lord has allowed them to do things differently from the way He's told us to do things.  It's knowing that God did not make us all exactly the same, therefore, He doesn't expect us all to live exactly in the same way. He expects us to listen to Him and His voice more than we are to listen to the voices and prompting of others. What this also implies then is that we don't correct others on their choices unless it is blatant sin. 

I don't believe we're very good in the Christian community at allowing others to experience freedom in Christ.  I think we too often see how another person is living and we decide in our own hearts that they have chosen poorly.  We then express to them our disapproval of their ways and we shut down their sense of freedom and sense of acceptance from the Lord. 

This grieves me so.  I can see now that I have done this very thing--this lack of love and acceptance for others and their ways of doing things.  This is not a building of the Christian family; it is a tearing apart.  It is living contrary to the ways of Jesus.

I see my own past culpability in the lives of others because this year I have experienced that same thing myself.  I have been in one relationship in particular that has this at the core.  One person in my midst here has expressed to me over and over and over again that the way I do things is not the way they would. The person has been quick to find fault with me and has let me know on numerous occasions that the way I live is counter to the way they do.  Oh how painful this has been.  It has torn me apart and has caused me anger, frustration, sadness, remorse, longing, and despair at times.  It's cost me many a night's sleep and has made me seek, on more than one occasion, reconciliation and restoration which I knew would never come.  I simply have not matched up to their expectations. 

Being on the receiving end of such a terrible, debilitating experience has opened my eyes to the horrible state that this puts someone in. Thankfully, it's caused me to look outward to question:  Am I that way with anyone?  Do I shackle anyone in my midst and steal their freedom in Christ? 

I'm of course equally horrified to report that the answer is yes. I have stolen the freedom of others. I have made others feel as if their ways were not 'right' or 'best'. Many times across the years, I have done that with friends, family, neighbors, small group members, my children, and those who were walking down the path alongside me. I too have stolen freedom that only Christ can give.

May we all look at how we perceive others and their choices--and may we all walk alongside and encourage others to listen to the Lord, instead of listening to us.  He knows best, not us.
Thanks for reading.
Blessings, kim

No comments:

Post a Comment