Saturday, May 9, 2015

Top 10 Things I will not miss about being away

So, after doing an entry about things I will miss, I thought it time to do one about things I won't.  These are in no particular order:

10.  Living in a borrowed house with furnishing, dishes, beds, sheets, and décor that is not ours.  It will be wonderful to return to a home that resembles the attitude and preferences of our family.

9.  Waking up each day with new bites on my body from something that must have had a banquet in the night.

8.  Rubbing my irritated eyes which are red from the volcano 30 miles away that spews ash fairly frequently.

7.  Soaking fruits and vegetables for five minutes prior to eating them. (And, having to carefully pick out all the worms and bugs from my lettuce and eggplant.)

6.  Fixing everything from scratch while operating from a very limited menu of possibilities.  For example, being able to buy only beef or chicken at the butcher.

5.  Spending Sunday mornings with my family in church where they cannot follow the message and therefore have less than a complete idea of what's being said.

4.  Arriving to school drenched from head to toe, and covered in mud, even though I'm wearing a rain coat.

3.  Being so unbearably far away from the people that we love and that love us.

2.  Wearing these faded, holey, worn, too-small, ripped, stained, pitiful clothes and shoes.  Even our new clothes from August are way beyond repair.

1.  Having to pass on many things simply because I don't have a car (restaurants, groceries, hair appointments, travel to the many interesting sites here, etc.)

I have really loved Ecuador and the beauty of it's countryside and people, but there are a few things that I will gladly leave behind.  : )
Blessings, kim

No comments:

Post a Comment